This decadent dessert delivers impressive amounts of calcium, fiber and omega-3 fatty acids. With just a few simple and nutritious ingredients, you can whip this up and have it waiting in the fridge for when you need a snack or you can even have it for breakfast. Yes, chocolate for breakfast! If you are unsure about having it for breakfast, know that it is not overly sweet, all the sweetness is provided by the bananas and the dates. So it’s naturally sweetened. You’ll have to try it to taste what we mean!
This Chocolate Banana Coconut Chia Pudding is simple to put together but it takes a little time to set. We usually make it in the evening and refrigerate overnight so it’s ready for the next day.
- 2 cups skim or non-dairy milk (like coconut or almond milk)
- 4 tablespoons whole chia seeds
- 1 medium banana, mashed
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon light agave syrup
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Berries, for garnish
- Mint leaves, for garnish
1) Place milk and chia seeds in a saucepan over medium heat and bring to a low simmer, stirring occasionally with a whisk.
2) When the mixture begins to thicken, whisk in remaining ingredients (except garnish) and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3) Divide mixture into 4 small serving dishes and cool in refrigerator until firm, at least 1 hour.
4) Garnish with berries and mint leaves and serve.
Image via: tasty-yummies.com
SERVES 4. Per serving (not including berries and mint): 185 calories, 9.7 g fat (6.4 g saturated fat), 6.8 g protein, 22.6 g carbohydrates, 5.2 g fiber, 68 mg sodium.