When it comes to detox diets, you can say that most of them out there are actually doing their job right, but the first thing you think of when it comes to detox probably is “starvation”. Well, there is a way for you to cleanse your body from toxins in 6 days and lose weight without starving! The beauty of this detox plan is that you are free to experiment and play with the food.
So first off, there are foods that must be avoided:
– Soda and alcohol
– Red meat, turkey, chicken and any processed meat like burgers
– Processed sugars
– Dairy products
– Eggs and their products (mayonnaise for example)
– Any wheat containing food like bread, cereals, pies, biscuits etc
– Salted snacks (salted nuts included)
– Chocolate, jam or any other kind of sugar packed food
– Soy and corn
And the detox approved foods are:
– Brown rice
– All types of potatoes
– Beans such as black beans, cannellini, green, red and brown lentils, black eye, kidney beans, pinto beans
– Fresh fish like salmon, tuna, lobster, swordfish, monkfish, crab…
– Unsalted nuts (any kind except for peanuts)
– Seeds like chia, sunflower, hemp, pomegranate, sesame, flax, apricot, cumin
– Extra virgin olive oil
– Spices like ground black pepper, curry, cinnamon, cayenne pepper
– Herbal teas such as dandelion, ginger, green, wormwood, cayenne pepper tea
– Fresh herbs, ginger and garlic
– Oatcakes and rice cakes
– Natural yogurt
– Lots of fruits and vegetables
– Tap or mineral water – no less than 2.5 liters a day
– Fresh fruit salad mixed with some nuts and seeds, enriched with drops of honey
For example my favorite is sliced apple, kiwi and mandarin oranges as the salad base, honey as dressing and sprinkled chopped hazelnuts and teaspoon of flax seed over the fruit salad. You can also use oats instead of nuts.
– Fresh smoothie with yogurt and oats
As example mix banana and blueberries with yogurt and some oats or if you prefer tropical flavor you can use passion fruit, mango, kiwi, pineapple, papaya… Consider adding cinnamon or honey to your smoothie for sweeter taste.
– Homemade muesli with yogurt
Make a mixture of seeds, oats, nuts, chopped dried fruit and yogurt. Do not be afraid to experiment, have fun doing it!
– Spinach, avocado & prawn salad served with lemon juice and balsamic vinegar.
– Mediterranean salad with rice cakes
That means rice cakes served with fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, white or purple onion, fresh basil and black pepper.
– Fish and potato salad
You can never go wrong with any kind of fish and potato salad. I like salmon or tuna with my potato salad, but really you can use almost any fish you like. To make to potato salad you can use onion, fresh cilantro, black pepper and garlic spice, but that is just one of the many potato salad varieties. Serve separately or together.
– Vegetable soup and oatcakes
It’s best to make a homemade soup, try to avoid ‘fresh’ supermarket soups.
– Tzatziki with crudités
Natural Yogurt, cucumber, lemon juice and garlic is what you need for the homemade tzatziki. Serve it with vegetable crudités and oatcakes
-Guacamole with crudités
Use avocado, fresh chilli, tomato, garlic and lemon juice to make the guacamole and serve with vegetable crudités and oatcakes.
– Chinese vegetable stir fry
Make a selection of vegetables like bok choy, bamboo shoots, mushrooms, spring onions and bean sprouts, stir fry them in some olive oil with ginger and garlic and serve with brown rice
– Baked dinner
Bake a salmon fillet and potato separately and serve with choice of steamed vegetables.
– Bean and potato casserole
Gently fry some common casserole vegetables like carrots, parsnip and onion with garlic and just some drops of olive oil. When they get browner, add diced potato and keep frying for a few minutes. Add your favorite beans, fresh vegetable stock and some black pepper. Start boiling the casserole until it thickens.
– Sweet and sour stir fry with rice
Lightly fry chopped vegetables such as peppers, onions, mushrooms and baby sweet corn. Add canned pineapple (in fruit juice), tomato purée, canned tomatoes, white wine vinegar and honey. Next step is to bring the sauce to boil until it’s thickened. Serve with brown rice
– Have some seeds like unsalted sunflower or maybe pomegranate seeds
– Fresh vegetable or fruit salad whenever you like
– Cup of unsalted nuts
Try to drink fresh juices with high antioxidants level (lemons, oranges, blueberries, strawberries…) and a herbal tea at your choice every day. In 6 days you will definitely feel much better without all the toxins you are caring right now and the weight loosing part can’t hurt either! However, do not go back at your normal diet the 7th day, the point of this diet is to use some of the recipes in the future too!