This spicy, crisp dish is just one of many possible variations on the traditional “salade Morocaine.”
– 1 pound carrots, cut into matchsticks;
– 1/4 cup olive oil;
– 3 tablespoons lemon juice;
– 2 cloves garlic, minced;
– 1 teaspoon ground cumin;
– 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper;
– Pinch of salt and black pepper;
– 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro;
1. Cook carrots in gently boiling water about 3 to 5 minutes until tender, but not soft. Drain, rinse under cold water, and drain again.
2. In the meantime, combine olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, cayenne pepper, and salt and pepper. Whisk until emulsified.
3. Toss carrots with dressing. Cover and refrigerate at least a half hour and up to 2 days to allow the flavors to meld. Before serving, add cilantro and toss. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Serves 4. Per serving: 164 calories, 14 g fat (2 g saturated), 10 g carbohydrates, 1 g protein, 98 mg sodium (4% Daily Value).
Featured image via: marthastewart